Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Final Reflection portion

Other assignments included daily readings for class that were sometimes very dense psychological papers. Not being super accustomed to reading psychological studies the first time we read Devine I was very confused but we worked through it as a class. And reading others blogs after dense readings helped to get a better picture of the paper as a whole. This helped me work through papers as a better reader and made me more interested and willing to read them. The readings in the class could be a lot at times but they helped me shape a better understanding of food and of how the world relates and expresses itself through it.
Reading the chapters from What to Eat by Marion Nestle was hands down the most important piece of writing we read all semester, to me. Her writing encompassed so many things, she talked about taste, quality and price all in the context of supermarkets. This was most useful because it also related many issues back to big business and to governmental influence which was not only shocking but at times outrageous. Reading this book and What the World Eats were good ways to contrast diet and influence in the rest of the world and really opened my eyes to how others eat – much differently than I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment