Tuesday, October 20, 2015

A Confusing Trip to the Store

When I made a menu for this imaginary family, I based it off of my preferences and my family’s preferences. This meant a lot of fresh foods and a lot of whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, and grains like quinoa and rice. Going through these foods, I was surprised to notice how many options there really were. I had never stopped to notice that there were maybe twenty options for how to buy lettuce – loose, in a variety of sorts (romaine, iceberg, butterhead, etc.), and packaged in bags and plastic boxes. How many different types of bagged lettuce could possibly exist? And why were potatoes located in two different places about 15 feet away from each other? Why were there carrots in two different spots, separated by about 20 feet? Baby carrots sitting next to whole carrots in one section, more baby carrots in another section, more whole carrots elsewhere. Organic carrots separated from other organic carrots. To the average shopper (me) there doesn’t really seem to be any rhyme or reason. But, after reading Nestle, I am sure that there is a very precise logic to what carrots get placed where. Perhaps whole organic carrots are placed next to non-organic baby carrots because both are more expensive options (one because they’re organic and the other because they’ve been processed and are more convenient). Now, as an average shopper, I walk through Tops, notice these carrots, make my choice between the two not realizing that there are other carrot options lurking not far away, and end up buying whatever it was that the store wanted me to buy. This separating of carrots (and other foods) also makes it difficult to compare prices. Or, having already picked up some carrots, I may not bother to compare prices once I come upon the other ones, not wanting to spend time putting back the ones I already chose.

I discovered this strange separation with other foods as well. I found black beans in three different places throughout the store, salsa all over the place, quinoa in two different sections, organic peanut butter and all-natural peanut but segregated from the other peanut butter in a natural foods section, and pasta in two different places along a very lengthy aisle. Milk was both at the front of the store and the back of the store. Rice, like the peanut butter, was separated by organic and non-organic in two very different sections of the grocery store. Likely, the store has figured out what types of people will frequent what parts of the store and will place particular varieties of items there to appeal to those customers. Black beans that advertised no added salt and being non GMO were placed very close to the natural foods section, and the organic quinoa was placed amongst the fruits and vegetables, while other quinoa was placed elsewhere in the store.

I was also interested in the fact that, for certain foods, it was almost impossible to find a food with all real-food ingredients. The biggest issue for this was with bready products – sandwich bread, buns, and cereal. These foods almost invariably had long lists of unpronounceable ingredients. Bread can be made without 30 ingredients, so why didn’t Tops carry any of that bread? (Or maybe I just couldn’t find it, considering that they separate all of their foods throughout the store, making it impossible to find everything.)

One other notable thing was that many packages were designed to make customers think about the natural ingredients of the food. Whether this was by stating that the ingredients were all-natural and GMO free, saying the food was organic, showing pictures of the whole ingredients put into the processed foods, showing pictures of farmers and farms, or labeling the food as “old-fashioned,” the vast majority of products were giving the image of “real food,” even when they contained many non-food ingredients, such as the DiGiorno pizza, which touted being made with 100 percent real cheese. Even the children’s cereal advertised being made with real fruit flavoring, even while it advertised to children with fun cartoon images. Most of the food in the grocery store is still processed and engineered to some extent, but the packaging feeds into consumers’ desires to believe that that food is actually natural, wholesome, and good. Meanwhile, these foods often had a lot of sodium hidden in them (one variety of canned beans had 400 mg of sodium per serving and the all-natural pizza had 670 mg per serving). And, as Pollan noted, most foods that have health claims on them are the ones that actually aren’t healthy. For instance, one jelly that I looked at, which claimed having no sugar, instead had all sorts of engineered non-foods in it, most of them derived from corn.

Finally, I was surprised by how much of the food I found was sourced from the United States. A lot of the vegetables were from California, of course, but much of the processed food was also from the United States. This did seem a little misleading, though, because most packages simply gave information for where the company was located. For something like bread, which had a huge list of ingredients, wasn’t produced all in one place. Certainly those ingredients were sourced from all over, but none of that information was given on the package. How much food was actually from outside of the United States, but I couldn’t tell because only one location was given for each food? It was also interesting to see that many of the foods, particularly produce, were prominently advertised as being products of the United States. In the Hjelmar article, many residents in Denmark were more interested in food being grown in Denmark than being strictly local, as were participants in the study by Bellows et al., so it seems that companies might try to advertise this clearly to appeal to consumers.


Overall, I definitely felt what Nestle describes in having both unlimited choice and no choice. I found myself favoring products with packaging that made me think of farms. I discovered uncountable options for produce, pizza, and bread, yet, based on store placement, I did not encounter all of those options. Prices were confusing to interpret without a scale, and I could not figure out how much of some items I would need. There was too much information in some places, not enough in others. The processed foods were overwhelming – which ones were okay, and which ones weren’t? At the end of it all, I felt exhausted. Better to stick with the farmers’ market or the Market House, I thought, where I can mindlessly feel good about everything I buy. Or can I?

No comments:

Post a Comment