Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Misleading Advertisements

As I was walking through the aisles at Walmart, in addition to the shopping list, I was also on the look out for misleading or dubious advertisements. After reading the chapter on cereal's misleading advertisements in "What to Eat," I wanted to see for myself if these ads were as bad as they made them out to be. Nearly all cereal brands and many other types of food, including meat and dairy, always had packaging that highlighted the "good" nutritional content. There was not a single cereal box that did not list the amount of fiber and protein, but they would always neglect to make their sugar content stand out. This was similar in other food aisles as well. This seems to give a false image of exactly how healthy our foods are. It makes me wonder if I prefer certain brands because of some clever marketing scheme or if I genuinely prefer them over another.

No comments:

Post a Comment