Monday, October 5, 2015

Forced Consuption

Although my parents always encouraged me to try every food at least once and to finish my plate, they never forced me to eat something that I did not want. It does not surprise me that according to the Batsell et al.'s study forced consumption often correlates to food rejection. If the child already does not enjoy the food that they have been given, forcing them to eat it will never make them like it. Over time, food tastes change and as the children mature they may go back to try the foods they once rejected. I also thought it was interesting that such a high percentage of respondents would not eat the food that they had been demanded to eat before. It is remarkable that so many people have the belief that forced consumption will broaden children's food horizons.

No comments:

Post a Comment