Tuesday, September 1, 2015

A meal that has real emotional significance to me is Dim Sum. Dim Sum is a traditional Chinese meal that is served in bite sized quantities from specialized steam carts. These carts are pushed between the tables and contain various dumplings, steamed buns, and dessert dishes.


Even though I love the food, the emotional attachment that I have to it is because it is usually eaten in large groups. For me it is always my extended family. Unfortunately, I rarely get to see them because they live all over the country and world so whenever we sit down for Dim Sum it is special occasion. It is very social with people shouting for which food to take off the cart next, family trying to carry on conversations, and constant noise from the kitchen and the steam carts.

Relating to the Kniazeva and Venkatesh article on the symbolism of food consumption, I believe my experience is closest to their third level of symbolization (2007, p. 421). Similar to what they said, my experience with Dim Sum is more than just nutritional or taste value. To me, it is more than just a meal, it represents my family coming together.



Kniazeva, M., & Venkatesh, A. (2007).  Food for thought: A study of food consumption in postmodern US culture.  Journal of Consumer Behavior, 6, 419-435.

Kuche, Chinesische (2005). Dim Sum wikipedia [online picture]. Retrieved September 1, 2015 from Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dim_sum

No comments:

Post a Comment