Wednesday, September 16, 2015

I, along with a few others, was not surprised by what Bellows, Alvarez, and Hallman figured out through their study- perhaps because I’ve grown up in a rooted Colombian culture and my father has been the primary chef and shopper since I can remember. Having him as the one in the kitchen constantly has opened my eyes to the idea that women aren’t necessarily more food conscientious, and both males and females can share this role. Continuing, I feel strongly that both males and females can share similar attitudes towards food attributes- be they while buying foods or preparing them. However, I will note that both of my parents don’t usually shop with attributes such as “organic, locally grown, U.S. grown, and GM-free foods”, maybe setting me apart from other traditional American families. Rather, they buy foods that attribute to the idea of ‘healthy’; perhaps falling into one of the previous categories, but highly doubtful since my parents are strong believers in the idea that everything is healthy in moderation.

            “Foodies”, or people who are passionate for both eating and learning about food, make for an interesting concept; yet still one that I would not specify to a particular gender. I feel as if I base this idea, along with a lot of others, off of childhood experiences- particularly because these are aspects that have been inspired by my parents. My dad is much more of a foodie than my mom in any way, which makes it interesting and somewhat difficult to open my view more and realize that my parents may be outliers.

No comments:

Post a Comment