Monday, September 21, 2015

I was really surprised when Pollan talked about how the low-fat craze of the 1970s could be the reason for our obesity epidemic.  Looking at nutrients now, some of us understand that carbohydrates give us energy, but are not good for us in excess (like anything).  It's crazy to think about how a food fad could have caused this serious issue that we are facing today.  This leads to my question of what can we do now to repair the damage caused by this low-fat fad of the past?  I believe that proper nutrition education starting at a young age can help children learn the importance of a well-balanced diet.  I subscribe to the idea that the parents are almost always at fault for how their children live there lives.  It is the responsibility of parents to teach their children how to live healthy and full-filling lives.  This is an even harder issue to fix and goes well beyond food, but I have to ask how can we get parents to care about what their children eat?

When I shop (which is rare because I have a meal plan), I don't look at the nutrition facts.  You almost don't have to anyway because the colorful boxes display the nutritional benefits on all sides of the box.  I pretty much pick out food because I like it.  I always try to get a variety of food though.  I never eat only meat or only vegetables.  I love a variety, and I love fresh food the best.  There's nothing better than a meal cooked from fresh, local produce and meat.  It feels good to eat foods that aren't shelf-stable for two thousand years.  It makes you feel better physically.  I'm not looking for nutrients, I'm looking for actual food, as Pollan puts it.

No comments:

Post a Comment