Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Fresh Mozzarella

When I was in 5th grade, I was sitting and eating lunch with my friends in the lunchroom one day when one of my friends pulled out a little tupperware container of little white balls of cheese in what seemed to be water. I asked her what it was and she said "Oh these are my mozzarella balls my mom gives me, they're the yummiest cheese!"  This was so intriguing to me at such a young age... cheese? In a ball?  I was more intrigued with their form and their "cuteness" than the fact that it was food.  Then I tried one and I was immediately thrown.  I went home to my parents that day all excited telling them we had to get fresh mozzarella balls because they were the greatest thing I had ever tasted.  I insisted they ask my friend's mom where she got them.

Well they found out that she got them at a little Italian specialties store/deli fare right down town called Sergio's.  Needless to say, we've been regulars there ever since.  My family and I always get our usuals there and it is a constant whenever we are all home at the same time or whenever we need a good meal.  All we have to say is "Serg?" and we head down and get a sandwich on an Italian roll with Turkey or chicken, roasted peppers, and fresh mozzarella, with of course a huge hunk of fresh mozzarella on the side.  The chunk of mozzarella has to be salted though in salt water, which is what they do right before they wrap it  up and give it to you.

This place/food is home for me and I associate family time, comfort, and a pause in the hectic and craziness of life with it.  It is also a running joke because even though my family is not Italian at all, I thought I was Italian until I was 13 because I assumed we were due to the fact that most of my friends are and most people who live in Jersey are.  I am still not convinced though because I love this food too much.  Kniazeva and Venkatesh talk about food as a connector and that's how I feel about this.  It is the association of my family, the memories, and the laughs that keep me going back to it and continuing to have a desire for it.  When I am away from it for months at a time, I start to feel that "Man I really wish I could have some fresh mozzarella from Sergio's right now." but that really translates to "Man I really wish I was hanging out with my family right now because I miss them."  Food acts as a substitute sometimes.  This illustrates what Kniazeva and Venkatesh mean when they say that the value of good conversation and memories accompanying food highlights the pleasures that we derive from the food itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment