Sunday, September 20, 2015

Real Foods Vs. Fake Foods

At the “Fast, Cheap & Good” cooking session today, I was again reminded of how surprisingly delicious fresh, natural foods are in comparison to preserved foods. While reading Pollan’s article, I realized that he made many valid points about what “real food” really is. I find Pollan’s position on Nutritionism to be very interesting, because it is a lifestyle that has been adopted by so many people in society today. Many people are obsessed with having certain nutrients in their food, cutting some other foods out of their diets, and making sure to eat “healthily,” but it is not an absolute fact that these are actually ways to eat healthily. Although, throughout most of the food research that has been conducted, signs are pointing to Nutritionism as being a healthy way of living.


It perplexes me as to why so many fake foods are being marketed as “nutritious” foods. I realize that companies are making money off of these products, but they are mostly processed, with few traces of natural components. As Pollan mentions, simply because something has terms like “full of fiber” on the label, it does not necessarily mean that it is healthy. I have previously tried a variety of items marketed as healthy diet bars and cereals, but now that I have thought it through, I don’t know why I thought they were healthy alternatives to real food. It is really important to take care of your own body, because you only get one for your entire life. This is opening my eyes to how I need to really start watching what I am consuming so as to preserve my body and really live a healthy lifestyle.



No comments:

Post a Comment