Tuesday, September 22, 2015

This chapters made me think about the disconnect between consumers, policy makers, and large corporations that are involved in the food industry. I think this disconnection makes our food system very unjust for some members of society. Through various classes I was aware of the lack of subsidization for vegetables and the idea of lobbyists on the food industry. These factors I realized contributed to the American diet and our unjust food system. People from lower socioeconomic statuses and that have health related issues are denied access to food that need to survive. I was able to comprehend that the government made decisions that directly affected consumers and their diet. From these reading I saw there is also corruption within food corporations. An aspect that was very interesting to me was the American Heart Association labeling items as hearth healthy and the backlash it received. This idea raises two ideas within me that deals with the labeling. One idea relates to Pollen's argument that we shouldn't have to label our products so we know what is healthy for us. He also wrote about how these items are not actually healthy but just have this label. This clearly shows because the AHA invited margarine, crackers, and frozen foods to apply for this endorsement, which do not seem heart healthy to me. So these unhealthy items are receiving "healthy" labels just because they are making money for their corporations. I think this creates a further disconnect between consumers and the products they are consuming. On the other hand I thought this was an interesting way to combat the unhealthy choices. I feel if this was implemented ethically it would have been a good marketing tool to advocate for healthy eating.  


From the AHA's labeling as "heart healthy" I wonder what the implications would be if products were labeled "not heart healthy" and most of society's food trusted to be healthy. Would this cause people to eat healthier or more creative ways to push unhealthy food?

No comments:

Post a Comment